FAQ's about EPC's in Reading & Theale

Q: Who is Property Assess & Reading EPC?
A: I'm an independent and fully qualified Residential and Commercial Energy Surveyor (DipDEA, DipNDEA, CertDOCEA, DipDGDA) living in Wantage. I started producing residential EPCs in June 2008 and cover the whole of Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire and Hampshire.

Q: What is the law regarding when an EPC is needed to sell or rent my property?
A: It is your responsibility to ensure an EPC is available or has been commissioned before you market your property for sale or rent. As long as you have booked an Energy Assessor when the property goes to market, you have a further 28 days to ensure that the EPC arrives with your selling or letting agency. If you are marketing the property yourself, the same law applies.

As part of my service, I can email a copy of your EPC to your selling or letting agent.

Q. Do you produce EPC's for commercial premises?
A. Yes I do. I'm a fully qualified Non Domestic Energy Assessor level 3 & 4.

Q. Can you produce residential EPC's?
A. Yes I can. I'm also a fully qualified Domestic Energy Assessor.

Q: I am going to rent out my property. Do I still need an EPC?
A: Yes you do and the certificate will be valid for 10 years for rental properties.

Q: How long does a Commercial EPC assessment take?
A: Typically between 1 and 2 hrs. Large, complex properties will take longer.

Q: How quickly will I receive the certificate after the survey?
A: If you ask Property Assess to produce your EPC, you will normally receive your certificate by email within 24 hrs. For other suppliers, you will need to check with them.

Q: When do I pay for my EPC?
A: The EPC will need to be paid in full either before the inspection or on the day of inspection. I can only accept cash, cheque or bank transfer. A receipt will be given to you for the fee paid.

Q: Can you produce floor plans for my property marketing?
A: Yes I can and these are produced to a professional standard in readiness for you or your agent to use straight away. The floor plans can be produced along with your EPC or separately if you don't need an EPC.

Q: How long is the EPC valid for?
A: The EPC is currently valid for 10 years from the date of issue. This is for both resale and rental properties.

Q: Will my current spending on energy bills be taken into account?
A: No. The estimated energy bill calculations on the EPC are based on standardised living conditions and not the individual owner’s lifestyle.

Q: Will I invalidate the EPC if I carry out changes to my property?
A: No. You may point out to perspective purchasers that you have made the changes and therefore increased the energy efficiency rating. You may consider getting a revised EPC to fully represent the new energy levels. This will require a re-visit and further assessment cost.

Q: Will you need to lift floorboards or loft boards?
A: No. The assessment is based on visual inspection only. Access is needed to all rooms and the attic and cellar as well as the boiler, heating controls, hot water storage and gas / electricity meters.

Q: My loft insulation is hidden under boards?
A: Every effort is made to identify where insulation is included including cavities and loft area. Where no access is possible it will be necessary for the property owner to provide evidence of insulation. If this is not possible, we will include a default in the software where no access is possible and that will result in a lower insulation rating.

Q: I want to check the energy rating of my property but I am not looking to sell just yet?
A: This is a great idea and if you decide to move within 10 years the EPC will still be valid. If you are not moving, you will definitely benefit from finding out how good your home is at generating and retaining the energy used and what improvements could be made to reduce your energy bills.

Q: Can a property fail an EPC?
A: No. A professional EPC is an examination of the current energy efficiency and the effect on the environment. So the results of the assessment is based on the current levels of insulation and heating system.

Q: Will I need to be present during the inspection?
A: It is not a legal requirement to be present, however, it is highly recommended that you are. In addition to security and health & safety issues, the inspector may ask you for some information relating to your property. If you are unable to be present, then a responsible adult or agent may be present, but not any persons under the age of 16 on their own.

Q: My property is Leasehold. Do I still need an EPC?
A: Yes, unless the lease has less than 21 years to run.

Q: My property is less than 10 yrs old. Do I still need an EPC?

A: Yes, you do.

Q: My property is grade 1 or 2 listed and/or thatched. Do I still need and EPC?
A: As of January 9th 2013, listed buildings that are marketed for sale or rent are exempt from EPC's. Thatched properties will still require an EPC unless, of course, it is listed. Listed buildings that are installing solar panels will still need an EPC to apply for the FiT.

commercial epc reading non domestic epc reading commercial energy assessor reading